14 Ways to Show Love to Anyone, Any Time
Some people love Valentine’s Day- the fancy dinners, roses, etc. Romance just drips from cupid's bow. However, some people despise Valentine’s Day- the commercial consumption, the sense of loneliness that it can inspire, and the overall ick factor.
But why do we have to be in one camp?
Let’s take Valentine’s Day back! Let’s inspire ourselves and others to love more, give more, and be more! Heck, why not call Valentine’s Day the kickoff point for love, like New Year’s Eve for resolutions, and Thanksgiving Day for elastic pants!
Let’s scream in the streets about the love and joy that we can create in our worlds- for the world!
It can all start with you! Right now.
Here are 14 Ways to Show Love to Anyone on Valentine’s Day:
1. Give your local barista a 50 percent tip. Everyone needs a little/latte extra!
2. Hold the door open for someone your own age. We all deserve respect.
3. Pay for the groceries of the person behind you in line at the checkout. We could all use a little extra help.
4. Take out an ad in the local newspaper thanking your post person. There are a lot of unsung heroes out there.
5. Present a bag of Hershey’s kisses to your gardener. Who doesn’t love chocolate, especially whilst cutting the grass?!
6. Tell your bus driver she is pretty today. She is!
7. Notice your waitress’ nails/hair color/earrings and compliment it. We all go into the world trying to look our best.
8. Call your great aunt and tell her you were wondering how she was doing. You always meant to ask, and now is the time!
9. Donate books to your local library. It is the gift that keeps giving.
10. Write your child’s teacher a note. He or she does a lot without extra credit.
11. Volunteer at your local women’s shelter. Ladies need love always.
12. Wine and dine your favorite member of the aging population. It is never too late to feel special.
13. Knit a scarf for someone in need. Wrap them in love- literally!
14. Treat yourself with kindness. It all starts with you, and you deserve the best. Everyday and always.
It is about love. Delirious, reckless, delightful, aggressive, forgiving, inspired love. Look around- the opportunities to LOVE are abundant.
Bottom photo by Lindy Drew
Your Groceries Don't Need Their Own Bus Seat, Thanks Facebook's Jet Burrows and the Analog Lab team have created the much-needed 10 Commandments of Transit.
Why This Teen-Created Police Accountability App Rules Five-O, a new police accountability app created by three Georgia teens, is the most comprehensive tool of its kind.
Exit Through the Riverbed Olafur Eliasson's new museum exhibit will leave you thinking and splashing.
How Do You Compete With a Flying Toilet? The Savvyloo toilet is a bold step forward in the world sanitation crisis.
Elementary Schoolers Imagine Street Carts of the Future These prototypes show how a group of students from Brooklyn think street vendors and mobile service stations should look in 30 years.
City Park Showdown Who’s winning in the quest for the perfect urban oasis? Looking at which U.S. cities are investing most in parks and how it’s evolved over time. #GoodCitiesProject
Today We Humans Used Up the Ecological Resources We Had for the Year Earth Overshoot Day once again appears earlier on the calendar.
The Secret World of Dinosaur Smuggling Mongolia battles the black market to preserve its natural history
This Startup is Taking On Prison’s Other Form of Isolation Fredrick Hutson's Pigeonly helps connect the incarcerated with the outside world.
These People Had No Clue What the Sun Did to Their Skin Thomas Leveritt’s video of UV-tinged people on the streets of NY, cleverly captures how we think about the sun's power.
The Unlikely Student Behind Ferguson’s Most Important Livestream How a rookie reporter brought the Mike Brown protests to the world
Curbside Shake-Up Can Kathryn Garcia convince New York to compost? A bold attempt to change the way 8 million New Yorkers take out the trash