14 Ways to Show Love to Anyone, Any Time
Some people love Valentine’s Day- the fancy dinners, roses, etc. Romance just drips from cupid's bow. However, some people despise Valentine’s Day- the commercial consumption, the sense of loneliness that it can inspire, and the overall ick factor.
But why do we have to be in one camp?
Let’s take Valentine’s Day back! Let’s inspire ourselves and others to love more, give more, and be more! Heck, why not call Valentine’s Day the kickoff point for love, like New Year’s Eve for resolutions, and Thanksgiving Day for elastic pants!
Let’s scream in the streets about the love and joy that we can create in our worlds- for the world!
It can all start with you! Right now.
Here are 14 Ways to Show Love to Anyone on Valentine’s Day:
1. Give your local barista a 50 percent tip. Everyone needs a little/latte extra!
2. Hold the door open for someone your own age. We all deserve respect.
3. Pay for the groceries of the person behind you in line at the checkout. We could all use a little extra help.
4. Take out an ad in the local newspaper thanking your post person. There are a lot of unsung heroes out there.
5. Present a bag of Hershey’s kisses to your gardener. Who doesn’t love chocolate, especially whilst cutting the grass?!
6. Tell your bus driver she is pretty today. She is!
7. Notice your waitress’ nails/hair color/earrings and compliment it. We all go into the world trying to look our best.
8. Call your great aunt and tell her you were wondering how she was doing. You always meant to ask, and now is the time!
9. Donate books to your local library. It is the gift that keeps giving.
10. Write your child’s teacher a note. He or she does a lot without extra credit.
11. Volunteer at your local women’s shelter. Ladies need love always.
12. Wine and dine your favorite member of the aging population. It is never too late to feel special.
13. Knit a scarf for someone in need. Wrap them in love- literally!
14. Treat yourself with kindness. It all starts with you, and you deserve the best. Everyday and always.
It is about love. Delirious, reckless, delightful, aggressive, forgiving, inspired love. Look around- the opportunities to LOVE are abundant.
Bottom photo by Lindy Drew
What if Simply Playing Soccer Could Power a Whole Village? Uncharted Play's Soccket balls ingeniously turn kinetic energy into electric current.
Next Time You're at a Pretentious Exhibition, Just Change It Güvenç Özel shows how a digital solution can augment a physical problem.
A Mosaic Shines in Philly A intimate conversation with a fixture of the Philadelphia art world.
Zaha Hadid Had a Busier Week Than You Did A posh homeware line, a math-inspired museum wing, and a blossom-shaped apartment building
London Skaters Fought Gentrification, and Won A coalition of skateboard enthusiasts just saved the birthplace of British skate culture from a future as a shopping center.
“What I Would Like to See is More Bystanders Stepping in to Take Action” The Everyday Sexism Project chronicles more than 80,000 instances of sexism around the world, and it’s making a big policy impact.
It's Not Where You're Going, It's How you Get There The future of transportation is now A look at futuristic forms of transportation that have become reality.
Inside the Minds of 11-Year Olds From Around the World A new documentary probes the special moral clarity of 11-year old children.
This Underwater Museum is Bringing a Coral Reef to Life A collaborative effort spurs a marine project off the coast of Egypt.
“French Navy” and Other Suggestions for Scotland’s New National Anthem EDM, art rock, indie ballads … let’s pretend it’s all on the table if Scotland votes for independence.
How a 17th Century Bible is Helping to Revive a Native-American Language One human language may die every 14 days, but the ancenstral tongue of M.I.T.-trained linguist Jessie Little Doe Baird won't be one of them.
Thank You For Caffeinating The dirty secret behind your favorite soft drink America’s $75 billion love affair with soft drinks has less to do with flavor than a specific, notorious ingredient.