14 Ways to Show Love to Anyone, Any Time
Some people love Valentine’s Day- the fancy dinners, roses, etc. Romance just drips from cupid's bow. However, some people despise Valentine’s Day- the commercial consumption, the sense of loneliness that it can inspire, and the overall ick factor.
But why do we have to be in one camp?
Let’s take Valentine’s Day back! Let’s inspire ourselves and others to love more, give more, and be more! Heck, why not call Valentine’s Day the kickoff point for love, like New Year’s Eve for resolutions, and Thanksgiving Day for elastic pants!
Let’s scream in the streets about the love and joy that we can create in our worlds- for the world!
It can all start with you! Right now.
Here are 14 Ways to Show Love to Anyone on Valentine’s Day:
1. Give your local barista a 50 percent tip. Everyone needs a little/latte extra!
2. Hold the door open for someone your own age. We all deserve respect.
3. Pay for the groceries of the person behind you in line at the checkout. We could all use a little extra help.
4. Take out an ad in the local newspaper thanking your post person. There are a lot of unsung heroes out there.
5. Present a bag of Hershey’s kisses to your gardener. Who doesn’t love chocolate, especially whilst cutting the grass?!
6. Tell your bus driver she is pretty today. She is!
7. Notice your waitress’ nails/hair color/earrings and compliment it. We all go into the world trying to look our best.
8. Call your great aunt and tell her you were wondering how she was doing. You always meant to ask, and now is the time!
9. Donate books to your local library. It is the gift that keeps giving.
10. Write your child’s teacher a note. He or she does a lot without extra credit.
11. Volunteer at your local women’s shelter. Ladies need love always.
12. Wine and dine your favorite member of the aging population. It is never too late to feel special.
13. Knit a scarf for someone in need. Wrap them in love- literally!
14. Treat yourself with kindness. It all starts with you, and you deserve the best. Everyday and always.
It is about love. Delirious, reckless, delightful, aggressive, forgiving, inspired love. Look around- the opportunities to LOVE are abundant.
Bottom photo by Lindy Drew
Why Hollywood Ought to Get Trashier The success of the studio behind the Sharknado franchise points to an elusive ingredient in movies today—fun.
Migration by Numbers The Most Diverse Cities in the World From Tokyo's modest 1.7% of foreign-born residents, to Dubai's whopping 87%, in this infographic we take a look at the dynamic landscape of city demographics around the world.
Should Society Fund Mindfulness? Putting taxpayer money toward meditation programs? It’s not as crazy as you might think.
Syrian Refugee Women Learn Self-Defense with Predictably Badass Results Two Arab-American women hope to empower Syrian women fleeing their home country’s conflict with physical training and emotional healing.
Achilles’ Password: Online Security’s Susceptible Straggler These new technologies promise to make your vulnerable passwords obsolete.
Guess Which Wealthy Country Can't Guarantee Access to a Basic Human Need? This week, Detroit's neediest had their water turned off. Here's what you can do about it.
If More Couples Smoked Weed, Would There Be Less Domestic Violence? Spouses who smoke weed are less likely to inflict physical, sexual, or psychological harm on their significant other.
Better Living Through Science: Women in STEM A look at pioneering women in fields of science, technology, engineering, and mathematics.
How You Type Says a Ton About Your Emotional State This new computer program can see right through your poker face.
Let’s Do More. A Call-to Action by Gap CMO Seth Farbman Data shows that 24% of the 21 million Americans making minimum wage are working in retail, and 64% of those are women.
Meet the Self-Proclaimed President of Colombia’s Hottest Music Trend Champeta started as an outsider Afro-Colombian folk movement. Now it's taking over the country.
Cryptocurrency Regains its Reputation in Paradise Can a renowned tourist hub in Bali become a bitcoin wonderland?