Announcement: The New GOOD Pets Hub Launches Today!
This post is brought to you by GOOD, in partnership with Purina ONE®. We're teaming up to share stories about how pets—and the people who love them—can brighten lives and strengthen our communities. Read more stories on the GOOD Pets hub.
Our pets mean a lot to us, as family members, best friends, and good neighbors. They're there for us when we're having tough times, and they bring us closer to our surrounding communities. A conversation about pets is almost always a great way to break the ice, and most definitely an opportunity to learn something new.
Beyond being personal companions, pets inspire creativity and healthy ways of living in our community. Do you know about an inspiring pet story or do you have one of your own? GOOD and Purina ONE are teaming up throughout 2013 to bring you the GOOD Pets hub, where you can share posts about pet care, adoptions, or animal heroes. Starting today, we'll be bringing you more than cute and fuzzy posts about cats and dogs. We’ll provide food for thought, including content like:
- Pet Diaries: Our continuing column features comedians, authors, musicians, and other pet owners writing about how their relationships with their neighbors and communities changed after pets came into their lives.
- Profiles about animal shelters and nonprofits that are finding inspiring ways to get their communities involved.
- Stories about people who are driven by curiosity to fuel change in their neighborhoods.
- A series elevating the extraordinary pet research that's helping to improve the lives of our companions, including mapping the dog genome, studying dog happiness, tracking cat ancestry, and working on ways to help sustain a bright mind for dogs as they age.
- A GOOD Guide to keeping your pet healthy and happy in an urban city.
- Infographics that will include scientific facts about pets.
- And Maker Challenges, which will result in donations to a pet welfare nonprofit or shelter.
So, follow the GOOD Pets hub and every week read heartfelt, funny, and smart stories that will make you think differently about pets and their place in our world. We’ll also be offering ways for you to get more involved in your community with your pets, so that you can make the most out of being a pet owner.
Illustration by Jessica De Jesus
Text Messages You Can Smell This company's device and app allows you to send scents through your phone.
This Tree Produces Forty Types of Fruit The living, edible art of Sam Van Aken's grafted stone fruit experiment
Dear 14-Year-Old Me The intuitive, emotional side of yourself guides your experiences and shapes how you learn. You grasp information viscerally, which can make traditional schooling a little bit harder for you.
Danish Architects Reimagine the Zoo The search for a more ethical wildlife park
Learning to Farm Fish Responsibly Breakthroughs in aquaculture are winning over longtime skeptics.
Stories for Boys Sundance-winner Rich Hill picks up where Linklater left off.
The Human Side of Spam Spanish photographer Christina de Middel smudges fact and fiction with her staged images of Russian widows and Nigerian lawyers in distress.
Why Oysters are Shacking up in Old Subway Cars States scrap over metal in a race to boast the greenest reef.
A Cable Car Revolution in the World’s Highest City The future of Bolivia’s public transportation takes to the skies.
When Humans Fight, but Animals Win Penguins have resorted to using landmines to keep pesky humans away.
So You Think You’re a Foodie? Pop culture was onto these trends way before you were. A sampling of the screwball comedies, sob stories, and sci-fis that anticipated our culinary moment
Dear Nine-Year-Old Me The transition is going to be difficult for you, but whenever you feel a little lonely and left out, take comfort in the knowledge that you are honing one of your greatest superpowers.