The GOOD Lunch: Curried Egg Salad
It's time for the GOOD Lunch! Today's salad was prepared by GOOD team chef Carla Fernandez and was inspired by a recipe on 101 Cookbooks.
Curried Egg Salad
Makes 10 to 12 servings
2 1/2 dozen good quality eggs
7 teaspoons curry powder (your favorite)
10 tablespoons plain yogurt
10 big pinches of salt
1 onion, chopped
3 medium apples, chopped
2 cups pecans, toasted and chopped
1 small bunch of chives, minced
One of the reasons I chose this recipe was the focus on achieving the perfect hard-boiled eggs. Heidi from 101 Cookbooks shared some scientific secrets that I'll definitely use again.
• To get a proper hard boiled egg, place the eggs in a pot and cover with cold water to a depth of about 1/2 inch.
• Bring the water to a boil without a lid.
• Turn off the heat, cover, and let sit for exactly seven minutes.
• Have a big bowl of ice water ready for when the eggs are done cooking.
• Place the eggs in the bowl of ice water for about 3 minutes (long enough to stop the cooking).
• Meanwhile, combine the yogurt, curry powder and salt in a small bowl.
• Crack and peel the eggs, and place in large mixing bowl.
• Add the curried yogurt, onions, apple, pecans, and chives.
• Mash all ingredients together. Pay attention to the consistency you are creating with the eggs; be careful not to overdo it.
• Add more plain yogurt to moisten the dish if needed.
• Season to taste
How did our salad rate in terms of taste, cost, and prep time?
Prep Time: 40 minutes prep
Taste: 3 stars
For our GOOD Lunch we served the egg salad over a bed of fresh arugula, with some warm naan bread just out of the tandoori oven from the Indian buffet down the street. We also suggest creating a sandwich out of these ingredients; combining the naan, arugula, and egg salad into each bite makes for the perfect balance of flavor.
Every Tuesday and Thursday for the next year, the GOOD team will cook and share a big bowl of healthy, vegetarian, seasonal soup or salad. This time last week we were enjoying Chinese
Chelsea Handler Tries Making Fun Of Andy’s Weight. It Backfires Immediately. An embarrassingly bad attempt to make fun of Andy’s weight
Another Kind of Street Meat Searching for abundant, organic, all-natural, free meat? Consider roadkill.
“I Know It's Not P.C. But...” Sam Harris, #Gamergate, and the explosion of white, male, illiberal rage
The Best (or Worst) Outbreak Movies to Watch While in Self-Imposed Quarantine If you’re going to be scared, be really scared A panicky film primer for the Ebola zombie pandemic sure to … oh my god, look out behind you!
Why Cutting Michael Sam Was a Mistake for the Dallas Cowboys The subversive NFL moment that never happened
7 Unlikely Male Feminists Lately feminism has been all about … men. Here are seven dudes who prove that gender equality really is for everyone.
The NFL’s Most Violent Man on How to Curb Football Injuries Jack Tatum’s modest proposal
Understanding Africa’s Ebola-Denying Communities While Americans panic over a tiny risk, some Africans in Ebola-stricken counties think the entire virus is make-believe.
Why Your American Wiener is Unimpressive We should all be envious of Iceland’s tasty, high-quality hot dogs
Stepping Inside a World of Private Violence A new documentary probes domestic violence in America via the gut-wrenching story of one survivor seeking justice.