The GOOD Lunch: Morrocan Roasted Carrot Chickpea Quinoa Salad
Moroccan Roasted Carrot Chickpea Quinoa Salad
Makes 10 servings
• 8 large carrots, cut into thin slices
• 3 tablespoons olive oil
• 2 teaspoons each of paprika, turmeric, cumin, cinnamon, black pepper, and salt (or any combination thereof)
• 2 cups red quinoa
• 4 cups water or vegetable broth
• 2 cups canned chickpeas (drain first!)
• 1 diced red or yellow onion
• ½ cup toasted pine nuts
• 4 tablespoons oliveoil
• 2 lemons, zest and juice
• Additional salt and pepper to taste
• Combine carrots, three tablespoons olive oil, and half of the spice blend and roast in a 400º over for about 30 minutes or until they are tender. You might need to flip once or twice.
• Simmer the quinoa in water along with half of the remaining spice blend until the water is absorbed, about 20 minutes.
• To make the dressing, combine three tablespoons of olive oil, lemon juice, and zest, remaining spice blend.
• Mix together carrots, quinoa, chickpeas, onion, and pine nuts in a bowl and toss with the dressing to taste.
How did our salad rate in terms of taste, cost, and prep time?
Cost: $20 ($2 per serving)
Prep Time: 1 hour
Taste: 3.5 stars
This salad tasted like a far-away land, with so many different flavored spices. Feel free to use a variety of spices based on what you have lying around your pantry. The original recipe called for raisins, but we left these out as they can be a polarizing ingredient when trying to please a lot of palates.
Every Tuesday and Thursday in 2011, the GOOD team is cooking and sharing a big bowl of healthy, vegetarian, seasonal soup or salad. This time last week we were enjoying Couscous "Saloup."
Why Oysters are Shacking up in Old Subway Cars States scrap over metal in a race to boast the greenest reef.
A Cable Car Revolution in the World’s Highest City The future of Bolivia’s public transportation takes to the skies.
When Humans Fight, but Animals Win Penguins have resorted to using landmines to keep pesky humans away.
So You Think You’re a Foodie? Pop culture was onto these trends way before you were. A sampling of the screwball comedies, sob stories, and sci-fis that anticipated our culinary moment
Dear Nine-Year-Old Me The transition is going to be difficult for you, but whenever you feel a little lonely and left out, take comfort in the knowledge that you are honing one of your greatest superpowers.
What to Do When Your Country is Drowning The wild and desperate ways island nations are fighting the effects of climate change
The Rise of Drone Pizza Delivery Why the skies will soon be filled with flying, snack-bearing robots
How Helsinki Became a Public Transporation Paradise One European city plans to make car ownership obsolete within a decade.
Follow the Crowd NanoCrafter and the rise of group intelligence Why online gaming may just be the future of science
The Empathy Mirror Neurofeedback enables us to better see ourselves in the other. Recent discoveries in neurofeedback can teach you to be less of a dick.
Robots On Ice Probe the Arctic Why a team of research robots is investigating disappearing sea ice, and why you should care
Don’t Turn Away Colin Finlay photographs the consequences of climate change. You will never see more beautiful photos of the deteriorating state of our planet than the ones in this photo feature.