GOOD Holiday Gift Guide 2010
We'll be the first to admit it: Holiday gift guides are not in short supply. But while they tend to tout next generation smartphones, cable-knit cashmere throws, or SUVs tied in big red bows, we often find ourselves missing any true meaningful exchange. So in putting together our very first ever GOOD Holiday Gift Guide, we sought out cool stuff to be sure, but we turned to a handpicked list of GOOD folks for their unique gift ideas, unusual holiday traditions, and some decidedly un-consumery things to make or experience in lieu of a trip to the mall or a click of the mouse. Hugs, gold, and time—all popular choices. Happy Holidays!—Allison Arieff
Our team of experts:
- Charles Adler, Co-Founder, Kickstarter
- Ken Albala, Author, The Lost Art of Real Cooking
- Frances Anderton, Host, DnA: Design and Architecture, KCRW
- Dan Barber, Executive Chef and Co-Owner, Blue Hill
- Mark Frauenfelder, editor-in-chief of MAKE magazine and co-editor of Boing Boing
- Rob Forbes, PUBLIC Bikes
- Pavel Karamazov of the Flying Karamazov Brothers (aka Rod Kimball)
- Corby Kummer, food writer, The Atlantic
- Adam Lowry, co-founder and Chief Greenskeeper, Method
- Robin Petravic and Catherine Bailey, Co-owners of Heath Ceramics
- Ron Radziner, Principal, Marmol Radziner Architects
- Sonja Rasula, Unique LA
- Brian Rea, Artist/Illustrator
- Sarah Rich, Co-Founder Foodprint Project and Co-Founder, Longshot magazine
- Peter Smith, GOOD
- Robbie Vitrano, Co-Founder, Trumpet, New Orleans
- Federico de Vera, Boutique owner/Jewelry designer
More Than 100 Detained Asylum-Seekers are Hunger Striking on Thanksgiving They request en end to their indefinite detention.
Let’s All Join Snoop Dogg in Celebrating the Spirit of Thanksgiving A Snoopsgiving in Inglewood, California.
Obama Uses Thanksgiving Mythology to Advocate for Syrian Refugees in Holiday Message The pilgrims were a persecuted minority fleeing violence in their home countries. Sound familiar?
Martin Shkreli Lowers the Price of AIDS Drug for Patients, Gouges Insurance Companies “Martin Shkreli is not pulling the wool over anyone's eyes.”
Activists Call Benedict Cumberbatch’s Zoolander 2 Character ‘Transphobic’ He plays a gender-fluid model named All.
After Serving 44 Years in Prison, 69-Year-Old Man Adjusts to a Changed World “...the majority of people was talking to themselves.”