GOOD Holiday Gift Guide 2010
We'll be the first to admit it: Holiday gift guides are not in short supply. But while they tend to tout next generation smartphones, cable-knit cashmere throws, or SUVs tied in big red bows, we often find ourselves missing any true meaningful exchange. So in putting together our very first ever GOOD Holiday Gift Guide, we sought out cool stuff to be sure, but we turned to a handpicked list of GOOD folks for their unique gift ideas, unusual holiday traditions, and some decidedly un-consumery things to make or experience in lieu of a trip to the mall or a click of the mouse. Hugs, gold, and time—all popular choices. Happy Holidays!—Allison Arieff
Our team of experts:
- Charles Adler, Co-Founder, Kickstarter
- Ken Albala, Author, The Lost Art of Real Cooking
- Frances Anderton, Host, DnA: Design and Architecture, KCRW
- Dan Barber, Executive Chef and Co-Owner, Blue Hill
- Mark Frauenfelder, editor-in-chief of MAKE magazine and co-editor of Boing Boing
- Rob Forbes, PUBLIC Bikes
- Pavel Karamazov of the Flying Karamazov Brothers (aka Rod Kimball)
- Corby Kummer, food writer, The Atlantic
- Adam Lowry, co-founder and Chief Greenskeeper, Method
- Robin Petravic and Catherine Bailey, Co-owners of Heath Ceramics
- Ron Radziner, Principal, Marmol Radziner Architects
- Sonja Rasula, Unique LA
- Brian Rea, Artist/Illustrator
- Sarah Rich, Co-Founder Foodprint Project and Co-Founder, Longshot magazine
- Peter Smith, GOOD
- Robbie Vitrano, Co-Founder, Trumpet, New Orleans
- Federico de Vera, Boutique owner/Jewelry designer
Teacher Uses Pizza to To Educate Teens About Sex Teacher believes that sex needs a new metaphor.
CNN Struggles to Differentiate Between Sex Toys and Arabic Letters The only thing those “letters” spelled was a pretty good time.
Activists Remind High-End NYC Diners That “Black Lives Matter” Members of the “Never 21” protest group surprised patrons at one of Manhattan’s poshest restaurants.
Meet the Mad Scientist Cooking Up Dodo Bird Nuggets and Human Hamburgers Can lab-grown meat save the environment and make vegetarians of us all? Bistro In Vitro’s Koert van Mensvoort thinks the future of food just might be under the magnifying lens.
NYPD Officer Shows Off Dance Skills at Gay Pride Parade Everyone was celebrating! Disgusting… that it’s recorded in vertical video. Everything else is great!
A Beloved Trans Woman’s Tragic Detroit Story Inspires a Legacy of Justice Filmmaker dream hampton delivers both a moving tribute, and a window into the issues facing today’s trangender youth.