GOOD Holiday Gift Guide 2010
We'll be the first to admit it: Holiday gift guides are not in short supply. But while they tend to tout next generation smartphones, cable-knit cashmere throws, or SUVs tied in big red bows, we often find ourselves missing any true meaningful exchange. So in putting together our very first ever GOOD Holiday Gift Guide, we sought out cool stuff to be sure, but we turned to a handpicked list of GOOD folks for their unique gift ideas, unusual holiday traditions, and some decidedly un-consumery things to make or experience in lieu of a trip to the mall or a click of the mouse. Hugs, gold, and time—all popular choices. Happy Holidays!—Allison Arieff
Our team of experts:
- Charles Adler, Co-Founder, Kickstarter
- Ken Albala, Author, The Lost Art of Real Cooking
- Frances Anderton, Host, DnA: Design and Architecture, KCRW
- Dan Barber, Executive Chef and Co-Owner, Blue Hill
- Mark Frauenfelder, editor-in-chief of MAKE magazine and co-editor of Boing Boing
- Rob Forbes, PUBLIC Bikes
- Pavel Karamazov of the Flying Karamazov Brothers (aka Rod Kimball)
- Corby Kummer, food writer, The Atlantic
- Adam Lowry, co-founder and Chief Greenskeeper, Method
- Robin Petravic and Catherine Bailey, Co-owners of Heath Ceramics
- Ron Radziner, Principal, Marmol Radziner Architects
- Sonja Rasula, Unique LA
- Brian Rea, Artist/Illustrator
- Sarah Rich, Co-Founder Foodprint Project and Co-Founder, Longshot magazine
- Peter Smith, GOOD
- Robbie Vitrano, Co-Founder, Trumpet, New Orleans
- Federico de Vera, Boutique owner/Jewelry designer
Don’t Freak Out About Beef Trade With Mad Cow Countries The horrifying disease has caused nations to halt beef imports over as little as a single reported case.
Millihelen Promises to Deliver No-Bullshit Beauty Tips and Tricks The Jezebel site will offer an “irreverent” take on the women’s grooming industry.
Out Of Silence Sparks Dialogue About Abortion A new play seeks to prompt discussion, following the success of The Vagina Monologues.
Kenyan Grandmother, 90-Year Old Badass, Is the Oldest Person to Attend Primary School She went back to school five years ago to learn how to read and write.
Scientists Shatter An Old Myth About Glass Glass’s weird behavior under a microscope has made it the subject of longstanding confusion
The Radical Brownies Are Not a Typical Girl Scout Troop Thee Oakland-based girls’ troupe is a safe place for young girls of color.
A Fan Recut The Hobbit Into a Single Movie There And Back Again as it should have been.
Using “Serial” To Explore Whether The Law Is Truly Objective Podcasts, primetime dramas, and even the mountains help explore whether or not justice is truly blind.
Jennifer Aniston’s Cake is Too Rich to be Relevant The film features a wealthy Angeleno when the majority of chronic pain sufferers are low-income
New Portrait Series Showcases the ‘Faces of the Movement’ Against Police Brutality This photo-a-day project humanizes the movement against police brutality.
The Surprising Effects Party Drugs Can Have on Your Soul This is your brain on drugs and a bunch of cool quotes about drugs.
This European City’s Number One Restaurant Is Staffed Entirely By Prisoners For the finest dining in Cardiff, go directly to jail.