GOOD Holiday Gift Guide 2010
We'll be the first to admit it: Holiday gift guides are not in short supply. But while they tend to tout next generation smartphones, cable-knit cashmere throws, or SUVs tied in big red bows, we often find ourselves missing any true meaningful exchange. So in putting together our very first ever GOOD Holiday Gift Guide, we sought out cool stuff to be sure, but we turned to a handpicked list of GOOD folks for their unique gift ideas, unusual holiday traditions, and some decidedly un-consumery things to make or experience in lieu of a trip to the mall or a click of the mouse. Hugs, gold, and time—all popular choices. Happy Holidays!—Allison Arieff
Our team of experts:
- Charles Adler, Co-Founder, Kickstarter
- Ken Albala, Author, The Lost Art of Real Cooking
- Frances Anderton, Host, DnA: Design and Architecture, KCRW
- Dan Barber, Executive Chef and Co-Owner, Blue Hill
- Mark Frauenfelder, editor-in-chief of MAKE magazine and co-editor of Boing Boing
- Rob Forbes, PUBLIC Bikes
- Pavel Karamazov of the Flying Karamazov Brothers (aka Rod Kimball)
- Corby Kummer, food writer, The Atlantic
- Adam Lowry, co-founder and Chief Greenskeeper, Method
- Robin Petravic and Catherine Bailey, Co-owners of Heath Ceramics
- Ron Radziner, Principal, Marmol Radziner Architects
- Sonja Rasula, Unique LA
- Brian Rea, Artist/Illustrator
- Sarah Rich, Co-Founder Foodprint Project and Co-Founder, Longshot magazine
- Peter Smith, GOOD
- Robbie Vitrano, Co-Founder, Trumpet, New Orleans
- Federico de Vera, Boutique owner/Jewelry designer
Australian Woman Demands: “Stop Taxing My Period!” An online petition to end the tampon tax has garnered over 95,000 signatures.
Jon Stewart Fights to Break Military Veterans Into the TV Industry For the past three years, The Daily Show host has secretly trained vets on the ins and outs of the entertainment game.
To Fight Fat, This App Requires You to Move to the Music “Moving Tracks” can make jogging all the more fun/all the less terrible.
Designers Skewer FIFA Sponsors to Highlight Worker Abuse To protest treatment of the workers readying Qatar for the 2022 World Cup, activists target FIFA’s corporate backers.
We Asked You to Walk, Bike, or Run for Charity. 4,000 of You Did It. You ran, walked, and biked 31,280 miles last week—all while Sambazon supported the charities you love. #100StartsWith1
George W. Bush Wanted to Officiate a Gay Wedding The conservative former president once offered to marry two friends who just happened to be a lesbian couple.