GOOD Holiday Gift Guide 2010
We'll be the first to admit it: Holiday gift guides are not in short supply. But while they tend to tout next generation smartphones, cable-knit cashmere throws, or SUVs tied in big red bows, we often find ourselves missing any true meaningful exchange. So in putting together our very first ever GOOD Holiday Gift Guide, we sought out cool stuff to be sure, but we turned to a handpicked list of GOOD folks for their unique gift ideas, unusual holiday traditions, and some decidedly un-consumery things to make or experience in lieu of a trip to the mall or a click of the mouse. Hugs, gold, and time—all popular choices. Happy Holidays!—Allison Arieff
Our team of experts:
- Charles Adler, Co-Founder, Kickstarter
- Ken Albala, Author, The Lost Art of Real Cooking
- Frances Anderton, Host, DnA: Design and Architecture, KCRW
- Dan Barber, Executive Chef and Co-Owner, Blue Hill
- Mark Frauenfelder, editor-in-chief of MAKE magazine and co-editor of Boing Boing
- Rob Forbes, PUBLIC Bikes
- Pavel Karamazov of the Flying Karamazov Brothers (aka Rod Kimball)
- Corby Kummer, food writer, The Atlantic
- Adam Lowry, co-founder and Chief Greenskeeper, Method
- Robin Petravic and Catherine Bailey, Co-owners of Heath Ceramics
- Ron Radziner, Principal, Marmol Radziner Architects
- Sonja Rasula, Unique LA
- Brian Rea, Artist/Illustrator
- Sarah Rich, Co-Founder Foodprint Project and Co-Founder, Longshot magazine
- Peter Smith, GOOD
- Robbie Vitrano, Co-Founder, Trumpet, New Orleans
- Federico de Vera, Boutique owner/Jewelry designer
“Skin a Watermelon” Trick is Very Cool. And a Little Creepy. With Labor Day just around the corner, there’s no better time to learn a new trick that’s sure to make an impression at any BBQ.
20 Crazy Images Show What Modern Life is Like An interesting look at the world we live in.
Yoga Joe Spins Traditional Male Stereotype On Its Head (Literally) These tiny soldier figurines are breaking down gender norms and downward dog-ing their way into our hearts.
Texas Abortion Doctor Fights Back with Perfect Passive-Aggressive Letter Many states require that women get invasive ultrasounds before an abortion. This doctor has a problem with that.
Syrian Refugees Pedal for Asylum by Biking Across Norway’s Arctic Border A legal loophole offers hope for those fleeing from one of the worst humanitarian crises on Earth.
One Man’s Plan to End World Hunger By Getting Us to Eat Expired Food A little common sense about expiration dates will change the world. #globalgoals