GOOD Holiday Gift Guide 2010
We'll be the first to admit it: Holiday gift guides are not in short supply. But while they tend to tout next generation smartphones, cable-knit cashmere throws, or SUVs tied in big red bows, we often find ourselves missing any true meaningful exchange. So in putting together our very first ever GOOD Holiday Gift Guide, we sought out cool stuff to be sure, but we turned to a handpicked list of GOOD folks for their unique gift ideas, unusual holiday traditions, and some decidedly un-consumery things to make or experience in lieu of a trip to the mall or a click of the mouse. Hugs, gold, and time—all popular choices. Happy Holidays!—Allison Arieff
Our team of experts:
- Charles Adler, Co-Founder, Kickstarter
- Ken Albala, Author, The Lost Art of Real Cooking
- Frances Anderton, Host, DnA: Design and Architecture, KCRW
- Dan Barber, Executive Chef and Co-Owner, Blue Hill
- Mark Frauenfelder, editor-in-chief of MAKE magazine and co-editor of Boing Boing
- Rob Forbes, PUBLIC Bikes
- Pavel Karamazov of the Flying Karamazov Brothers (aka Rod Kimball)
- Corby Kummer, food writer, The Atlantic
- Adam Lowry, co-founder and Chief Greenskeeper, Method
- Robin Petravic and Catherine Bailey, Co-owners of Heath Ceramics
- Ron Radziner, Principal, Marmol Radziner Architects
- Sonja Rasula, Unique LA
- Brian Rea, Artist/Illustrator
- Sarah Rich, Co-Founder Foodprint Project and Co-Founder, Longshot magazine
- Peter Smith, GOOD
- Robbie Vitrano, Co-Founder, Trumpet, New Orleans
- Federico de Vera, Boutique owner/Jewelry designer
This App Tells You How Your Town Will Look After Decades of Climate Change How one of the world’s biggest problems will look in your hometown.
Meet the Army of Moms Now Patrolling Chicago’s Toughest Streets The police couldn’t keep Chicago kids safe. So these moms stepped in instead.
Interracial Couples Open Up About How Stereotypes Have Affected Their Relationships Racial stereotypes are no joke, but these couples try to see the funny side.
Solar-Powered Backpacks Bring Portable Light To South African Schoolchildren How one group turned recycled materials into hope, providing much needed light for studying.
Iranian and Israeli Special Olympics Athletes Pose an Example for Sports Diplomacy Players from the two nations became friends on the flight to Los Angeles.
So Here’s Exactly How Much is Your Body Worth The heart is crazy expensive.