GOOD Holiday Gift Guide 2010
We'll be the first to admit it: Holiday gift guides are not in short supply. But while they tend to tout next generation smartphones, cable-knit cashmere throws, or SUVs tied in big red bows, we often find ourselves missing any true meaningful exchange. So in putting together our very first ever GOOD Holiday Gift Guide, we sought out cool stuff to be sure, but we turned to a handpicked list of GOOD folks for their unique gift ideas, unusual holiday traditions, and some decidedly un-consumery things to make or experience in lieu of a trip to the mall or a click of the mouse. Hugs, gold, and time—all popular choices. Happy Holidays!—Allison Arieff
Our team of experts:
- Charles Adler, Co-Founder, Kickstarter
- Ken Albala, Author, The Lost Art of Real Cooking
- Frances Anderton, Host, DnA: Design and Architecture, KCRW
- Dan Barber, Executive Chef and Co-Owner, Blue Hill
- Mark Frauenfelder, editor-in-chief of MAKE magazine and co-editor of Boing Boing
- Rob Forbes, PUBLIC Bikes
- Pavel Karamazov of the Flying Karamazov Brothers (aka Rod Kimball)
- Corby Kummer, food writer, The Atlantic
- Adam Lowry, co-founder and Chief Greenskeeper, Method
- Robin Petravic and Catherine Bailey, Co-owners of Heath Ceramics
- Ron Radziner, Principal, Marmol Radziner Architects
- Sonja Rasula, Unique LA
- Brian Rea, Artist/Illustrator
- Sarah Rich, Co-Founder Foodprint Project and Co-Founder, Longshot magazine
- Peter Smith, GOOD
- Robbie Vitrano, Co-Founder, Trumpet, New Orleans
- Federico de Vera, Boutique owner/Jewelry designer
A Film About Cancer That is Also About You An Interview with Ken Burns The world’s most celebrated documentarian takes on the “emperor of all maladies.”
Being Batman Has Never Been Easier A step-by-step guide to becoming a real-world superhero
Austin Landlord Who Demolished Piñata Shop for SXSW Party Forced to Resign from Company He Co-Founded The Little Guy: 1, Gentrification: 0
Republican Congresswoman’s Attempt to Publicly Shame Obama Backfires Hilariously Not everyone belongs on Facebook.
Find the latest issue of GOOD magazine Search retail locations near you that are carrying the latest issue of GOOD magazineFind the latest issue of GOOD magazine
Founder’s Letter GOOD’s creative director and co-founder Casey Caplowe reflects on the history of GOOD and what lies in store for the future
Editor’s Letter Joshua Neuman discusses the idea of a ‘global citizenship’ that’s rooted in values and transcends geographic borders
The Week in Design Drake went high art, Ikea gave much-needed homes to Iraqi refugees, and Cape Town got a whole lot of Mexican wrestlers.
The Sweet Science of Candy Anatomy This Glasgow medical student’s technical diagrams are cheery, informative, and made of your favorite junk foods.
Computer Algorithm Spits Out Route For Ultimate American Road Trip Time to hit the open road and follow these precise directions.
Slashing Calories From Rice (Without Downsizing Your Portions) Researchers discover adding two simple steps to the cooking process can reduce starch and calorie absorption by up to 60 percent.
The Last of the Moche Wave Riders Uncovering surfing’s secret ancient history on the desert coast of Peru. An eroding shoreline and oblivious tourists threaten a beloved local tradition that pre-dates the Incas.