GOOD Holiday Gift Guide 2010
We'll be the first to admit it: Holiday gift guides are not in short supply. But while they tend to tout next generation smartphones, cable-knit cashmere throws, or SUVs tied in big red bows, we often find ourselves missing any true meaningful exchange. So in putting together our very first ever GOOD Holiday Gift Guide, we sought out cool stuff to be sure, but we turned to a handpicked list of GOOD folks for their unique gift ideas, unusual holiday traditions, and some decidedly un-consumery things to make or experience in lieu of a trip to the mall or a click of the mouse. Hugs, gold, and time—all popular choices. Happy Holidays!—Allison Arieff
Our team of experts:
- Charles Adler, Co-Founder, Kickstarter
- Ken Albala, Author, The Lost Art of Real Cooking
- Frances Anderton, Host, DnA: Design and Architecture, KCRW
- Dan Barber, Executive Chef and Co-Owner, Blue Hill
- Mark Frauenfelder, editor-in-chief of MAKE magazine and co-editor of Boing Boing
- Rob Forbes, PUBLIC Bikes
- Pavel Karamazov of the Flying Karamazov Brothers (aka Rod Kimball)
- Corby Kummer, food writer, The Atlantic
- Adam Lowry, co-founder and Chief Greenskeeper, Method
- Robin Petravic and Catherine Bailey, Co-owners of Heath Ceramics
- Ron Radziner, Principal, Marmol Radziner Architects
- Sonja Rasula, Unique LA
- Brian Rea, Artist/Illustrator
- Sarah Rich, Co-Founder Foodprint Project and Co-Founder, Longshot magazine
- Peter Smith, GOOD
- Robbie Vitrano, Co-Founder, Trumpet, New Orleans
- Federico de Vera, Boutique owner/Jewelry designer
A New Installation Gamifies the Future of Los Angeles Always “becoming something else” is an essential part of L.A.’s urban DNA.
Calendar Famous for Objectifying Women’s Bodies Celebrates Their Accomplishments Instead The 2016 Pirelli calendar features photographs of women powerhouses who are, for the most part, clothed.
4Chan Trolls ISIS by Photoshopping Rubber Duckies Over All Their Propaganda Footage Meme-minded internet users take a quack—er, crack at the slick propaganda the terrorist group has become known for.
Australian Photographer Repurposes Vintage Photos Into Fascinating New Stories Jane Long has breathed new life into the work of a Romanian photographer.
After Mosque Arson, This Synagogue Opened Its Doors to Muslims in Need of a Place to Pray How a hate crime meant to tear a city apart ended up bringing two communities closer together than ever before.
NSA Ends Phone Metadata Program, But Surveillance Reform Efforts Are Far From Over “This is a victory for everyone who believes in protecting both American security and Americans’ constitutional rights.”