GOOD Holiday Gift Guide 2010
We'll be the first to admit it: Holiday gift guides are not in short supply. But while they tend to tout next generation smartphones, cable-knit cashmere throws, or SUVs tied in big red bows, we often find ourselves missing any true meaningful exchange. So in putting together our very first ever GOOD Holiday Gift Guide, we sought out cool stuff to be sure, but we turned to a handpicked list of GOOD folks for their unique gift ideas, unusual holiday traditions, and some decidedly un-consumery things to make or experience in lieu of a trip to the mall or a click of the mouse. Hugs, gold, and time—all popular choices. Happy Holidays!—Allison Arieff
Our team of experts:
- Charles Adler, Co-Founder, Kickstarter
- Ken Albala, Author, The Lost Art of Real Cooking
- Frances Anderton, Host, DnA: Design and Architecture, KCRW
- Dan Barber, Executive Chef and Co-Owner, Blue Hill
- Mark Frauenfelder, editor-in-chief of MAKE magazine and co-editor of Boing Boing
- Rob Forbes, PUBLIC Bikes
- Pavel Karamazov of the Flying Karamazov Brothers (aka Rod Kimball)
- Corby Kummer, food writer, The Atlantic
- Adam Lowry, co-founder and Chief Greenskeeper, Method
- Robin Petravic and Catherine Bailey, Co-owners of Heath Ceramics
- Ron Radziner, Principal, Marmol Radziner Architects
- Sonja Rasula, Unique LA
- Brian Rea, Artist/Illustrator
- Sarah Rich, Co-Founder Foodprint Project and Co-Founder, Longshot magazine
- Peter Smith, GOOD
- Robbie Vitrano, Co-Founder, Trumpet, New Orleans
- Federico de Vera, Boutique owner/Jewelry designer
Taking Opera to the Streets Tijuana’s Opera en la Calle festival is emblematic of the dynamic city’s budding arts scene. Tenor Jónathan Cebreros on turning the highbrow art into an inclusive community celebration.
When This City Couldn’t Fix Its Potholes, These ‘Guerrilla Road Radicals’ Did Instead No one was fixing the problem, so these local residents just got up and fixed it.
Small Italian Town Gives Epic Performance Trying to Get Foo Fighters' Attention They really want this concert.
Men Struggle To Identify Menstrual Cups No, it does not help women pee like men. And no, it is not meant for babies. Well, not directly.
Colorful Cabs Hit the Streets of Mumbai, Giving Young Artists Their Big Break The Taxi Fabric helps budding creatives make their city more beautiful while tranforming boring cars into works of art.
Forget X-Rays, Soon We’ll Be Popping Pills to Scan for Certain Cancers How a high-tech capsule could make the colonoscopy of the future much more pleasant.